Fulbright Scholar Program

Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program Catalog of Awards

Download PDF Download PDF
11394-BB

All Disciplines

Barbados and Eastern Caribbean
Western Hemisphere

Tabs

Award Details
Grant Activity

Teach courses at the associate degree, undergraduate or graduate level in field of specialization and/or conduct collaborative or independent research, as desired. For teaching/research projects, scholars should plan a 60/40 ratio of teaching to research.

Grant Length
Three to nine months. For Flex grants, see Flex Option section.
Grant Dates

Grants may begin in August 2021 or later. For Flex grants, see Flex Option section.

All Scholars to Barbados and the Eastern Caribbean are required to attend a pre-departure orientation, which typically takes place in late June, prior to beginning their Fulbright grant. 

Locations

Below is a list of the main educational institutions on each island, with which scholars may affiliate:

  • St. Vincent and the Grenadines Community College, St. Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Sir Arthur Lewis Community College, St. Lucia
  • C.F. Bryant Community College, St. Kitts and Nevis
  • T.A. Marryshow Community College, Grenada
  • The Barbados Community College, Barbados
  • Dominica State College, Dominica
  • Antigua State College, Antigua
  • University of the West Indies, Cave Hill Campus, Barbados

If an applicant wishes to affiliate with an institution or entity other than one listed above, s(he) should contact the U.S. Embassy in Barbados to ensure that particular host institution would be acceptable and appropriate. 

Flex Option
Yes
Flex Description

The Flex Award is designed for scholars who require multiple visits to the host country. This option allows grants to be conducted over short segments, preferably during the fall and/or spring semesters. Interested applicants should clearly indicate plans for Flex in their project statement, including a project timeline. Flex grantees may be asked to give public talks, mentor students and otherwise engage with the host-country academic community.

Flex grant parameters:
• Minimum length of the total grant is four months and the maximum is six months.
• Minimum length for any grant segment is one month and the maximum is three months.
• Two or three grant segments may be spread over one or two consecutive years.
• Flex awards are offered for teaching, teaching/research and research grants.

For more information, please see Fulbright Flex Awards.

Discipline Type
Only applications in the following disciplines will be considered
Disciplines
Agriculture
Biology
Business
Culinary Arts
Economics
Education
Engineering
Environmental Sciences
Gender Studies
International Relations
Journalism
Literature, non- U.S.
Museum Studies
Nutrition
Political Science
Public Health
Public Policy
Social Work
Tourism
Urban Planning
Areas of Interest

While this award is open to any project in the disciplines listed above, there is interest in scholars who are in these particular specialty areas.

Applications from the above listed disciplines are invited.

Special Features

The U.S. Embassy in Barbados is accredited to seven islands nations in the Eastern Caribbean. The countries Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Dominica, Grenada, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, and St. Vincent and Grenadines are independent nation states that share a rich heritage. It is important to note that while the islands share common challenges, there is diversity not just in landscape but also in the areas that they identify as priorities. The ethnic composition of this region is approximately 93% Afro Caribbean with the remaining 7% comprising persons of European, Asian and Indo-Caribbean descent.

The educational Institutions can be contacted to provide advice on suitable housing options and communities as well as to offer guidance on options for transportation while on the island.

Immigration Requirements

Each island has specific immigration requirements for visitors. The U.S. Embassy requests that applicants discuss with their host institutions what these requirements are so that any necessary applications and submission of documentation can be started in a timely manner.

Application Deadline
Closed
Activity
Professional Project
Professional Project/Research
Professional Project/Teaching
Research
Teaching
Teaching/Research
Degree Requirements
Ph.D. (or other terminal degree) not required
Candidate Profile
Professionals
Academics, all levels including early career
Number of Grants
Approximately 2
Program Staff
Michelle Bolourchi
Outreach and Recruitment Specialist
Phone: 
202-326-7753
Email: 

Related Awards

No published content available.