The Graduate Institute of Peace Studies, Kyung Hee University, Gwangneung Campus, Namyangju, Gyeonggi
Established in 1984, the Graduate Institute of Peace Studies at Kyung Hee University represents its long history in the pursuit of peace under its founder and first president, Dr. Young Seek Choue. Tracing its roots to 1949, Kyung Hee University originated as a two-year college in Busan. Plagued by debt early on in its history, under Dr. Choue’s leadership, the university transformed itself, moving forward even in the midst of the war to become a four-year college in 1952. In 1954, after the conclusion of the Korean War, Kyung Hee’s campus was relocated to Seoul. Today, the university has three campuses, including the main campus in Seoul, a global campus in Suwon, and the Graduate Institute of Peace Studies campus in Namyangju (known as the Gwangneung Campus).
Founded, as it was, amidst the turmoil and aftermath created by years of colonization and war, Kyung Hee University has taken an active interest in development and reform throughout its history, establishing the Institute for Underdeveloped Society Studies in the 1960s, the Goodwill, Cooperation, and Service (GCS) Research Institute and the International Peace Research Institute in the 1970s, and finally the Graduate Institute of Peace Studies in the 1980s. In recognition of the university’s efforts towards the cause of peace, it was awarded a UNESCO Prize for Peace Education in 1993, making it the first educational institute to receive this award. Dr. Choue was also personally recognized for his efforts towards the cause of peace as the recipient of a UN Special Award of Meritorious Service for Peace in 1996.
For more information about Kyung Hee University, visit www.khu.ac.kr.
For more information about the Graduate Institute of Peace Studies, visit gip.khu.ac.kr.